Today, novel coronavirus infection has become pandemic worldwide. It is the major cause of sickness from the common cold to severe acute respiratory syndrome in individuals. In a dental operatory, infections can be expedited through several routes like aerosol generation, contaminated surfaces, droplet splatter, oral fluids, and direct contact. Keeping in mind about the routes of transmission of COVID-19 (Coronavirus disease-19), dental practitioners are at higher risk of exposure and disease spread. Hence, this review article emphasizes the routes of transmission, risk factors, prophylactic and preventive measures. It also sights on alternative approaches to prosthodontic procedures to reduce the burden of COVID-19 infection in their community. Data acquisition was made using the keywords, COVID-19, infection control, prosthodontic risk factors in electronic databases like PubMed, Medline, ProQuest, etc. A manual search of several journals and books was also carried out, and only highly relevant articles were considered for the present review.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Wang C, Harby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet. Elsevier public health emergency collection 2020;395:470–473. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30185-9
- Brahmanandam PS, Chakravarthy KK, Raju GR, Rao NS, Satyavani M, Kumar VN, Alla RK, Kadiyala KG, Vinay P, Rao C, Narsaiah EL. Feasible Solutions and Role of Nanomaterials in Combating the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Preliminary Study. Trends Biomater Artif Organs. 2020 Jul 3;34.
- Gorbalenya AE, Baker SC, Barie RS, de Groot RJ, Drosten C, Gulyaeva AA, et al. Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: the species and its viruses-a statement of the Coronavirus Study Group. Bio Rxiv 2020: 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.07.937862
- Singhal T. A review of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19). Ind J Pediatr. 2020;13:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-020-03263-6
- Wahba L, Jain N, Fire AZ, Shoura MJ, Artiles KL, McCoy MJ, Jeong DE. Identification of a pangolin niche for a 2019-nCoV-like coronavirus through an extensive meta-metagenomic search. BioRxiv. 2020 Jan 1. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.08.939660
- He X, Lau EH, Wu P, Deng X, Wang J, Hao X, Lau YC, Wong JY, Guan Y, Tan X, Mo X. Temporal dynamics in viral shedding and transmissibility of COVID-19. Nat Med. 2020;26(5):672-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-020-0869-5
- Wei WE, Li Z, Chiew CJ, Yong SE, Toh MP, Lee VJ. Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2—Singapore, January 23–March 16, 2020. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2020;69(14):411. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6914e1
- ISOI Guidelines for Dental Practitioners During COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, Liang WH, Ou CQ, He JX, Liu L, Shan H, Lei CL, Hui DS, Du B. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(18):1708-20. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032
- Biradar SV. Sterilization in Dental Practice–A Review. Asian J Pharm Technol Innov. 2018;6(27): 53-66.
- Chidambaranathan AS, Balasubramanium M. Comprehensive review and comparison of the disinfection techniques currently available in the literature. J Prosthodont. 2019;28(2):e849-56. https://doi.org/10.1111/jopr.12597
- Dr Ajay Bajaj, How to use Ultraviolet light (UVC) to fight COVID-19 effectively in dental clinics.
- Fini MB. What dentists need to know about COVID-19. Oral Oncology. 2020 Apr 28:104741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2020.104741
- Shamszadeh S, Parhizkar A, Mardani M, Asgary S. Dental Considerations After the Outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease: A Review of Literature. Arch Clin Infect Dis. 2020;15(2): e103257. https://doi.org/10.5812/archcid.103257
- World Health Organization. Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease (?? COVID-19)?? and considerations during severe shortages: interim guidance, 6 April 2020. World Health Organization; 2020.
- ADA Website Guidance on Emergency vs Non Emergency. April 7, 2020.
- Ahmed MS, Barman D, Girish B, Devi RE, Kazi S, Bhure S, Tiwari RV. Dental considerations in Corona Virus Infections: First review in literature. J Adv Med Dent Sci Res. 2020;8(2):100-3.
- Affairs AC, Practice AC. Infection control recommendations for the dental office and the dental laboratory. J Am Dent Assoc. 1996;127(5):672-80. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1996.0280
- Khan MW. An Overview of Dental Impression Disinfection Techniques-A Literature Review. JPDA. 2018;27(04):208. https://doi.org/10.25301/JPDA.274.207
- Bhat VS, Shetty MS, Shenoy KK. Infection control in the prosthodontic laboratory. J Ind Prosthodont Soc. 2007;7(2):62. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-4052.33997
- Samaranayake LP, Reid J, Evans D. The efficacy of rubber dam isolation in reducing atmospheric bacterial contamination. ASDC J Dent Child. 1989;56(6):442-4.
- Peng X, Xu X, Li Y, Cheng L, Zhou X, Ren B. Transmission routes of 2019-nCoV and controls in dental practice. Int J Oral Sci. 2020;12(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41368-020-0075-9
- Avasth A. High Volume Evacuator HVE in reducing aerosol an exploration worth by clinicians. J Dent Health Oral Disord Ther. 2018;9(3):165-6. https://doi.org/10.15406/jdhodt.2018.09.00371
- Colombo M, Mangano C, Mijiritsky E, Krebs M, Hauschild U, Fortin T. Clinical applications and effectiveness of guided implant surgery: a critical review based on randomized controlled trials. BMC Oral Health. 2017;17(1):150. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0441-y
- Rashed HT. Evaluation of the effect of hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash in comparison with chlorhexidine in chronic periodontitis patients: a clinical study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2016;6(3):206-212. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-0762.183114
- Atieh MA, Tawse?Smith A, Alsabeeha NH, Ma S, Duncan WJ. The One Abutment–One Time Protocol: A Systematic Review and Meta?Analysis. J Periodontol. 2017;88(11):1173-85. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2017.170238
- Sakamoto S, Ro M, Al-Ardah A, Goodacre C. Esthetic abutment design for angulated screw channels: A technical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2018;119(6):912-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2017.08.018
- Hegde V, Kulkarni RD, Ajantha GS. Biomedical waste management. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2007;11(1):5-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-029X.33955
- National Task Force for Covid 19. Advisory on the use of Hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis for SARS-CoV-2 infection. New Delhi: ICMR; 2020 March 22.
- Gautret P, Lagier JC, Parola P, Meddeb L, Mailhe M, Doudier B, Courjon J, Giordanengo V, Vieira VE, Dupont HT, Honoré S. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020 Mar 20:105949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949