Dental implants have evolved as a standard treatment option for the replacement of missing teeth. Though this treatment modality provides a high level of patient satisfaction and success, it cannot be performed in all cases. Implant use is also restricted when the quality and quantity of bone at the edentulous site is limited, in addition to medically impaired patients. Among the conditions are remaining ridges with reduced interdental spacing, atrophic edentulous maxillary and mandibular ridges, and narrow ridges such as the mandibular incisor and maxillary lateral incisor area. A proper augmentation method for the placement of a regular diameter implant (3.75 to 7 mm) can improve the height and width of bone at such sites. However, bone augmentation and bone grafting procedures are rarely undertaken due to financial constraints, the risk of subjecting the patient to additional surgical procedures, the added time factor, or the guarded prognosis of the grafted site. In such cases, mini-implants are the choice of treatment. Mini-implants have the potential to be a viable alternative to standard-diameter implants in some circumstances. Benefits of mini-implants can be gained by replacing a single missing tooth, or preferably they must be used in multiples to retain fixed dental prostheses and might serve as an inexpensive, and efficient solution for retaining overdentures in selected cases.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Romeo E, Ghisolfi M, Rozza R, Chiapasco M, Lops D. Short (8-mm) dental implants in the rehabilitation of partial and complete edentulism: a 3- to 14-year longitudinal study. Int J Prosthodont. 2006;19(6):586-592
- Cardaropoli G, Lekholm U, Wennstrom JL. Tissue alterations at implant-supported single-tooth replacements: a 1-year prospective clinical study. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2006;17(2):165-171. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2005.01210.x
- Tarnow DP, Cho SC, Wallace SS. The effect of inter-implant distance on the height of inter-implant bone crest. J Periodontol. 2000; 71(4):546-549. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2000.71.4.546
- Esposito M, Grusovin MG, Coulthard P, Worthington HV. The efficacy of various bone augmentation procedures for dental implants: a Cochrane systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant. 2006;21(5).696-710
- Flanagan D. Fixed partial dentures and crowns supported by very small diameter dental implants in compromised sites. Implant Dent. 2008; 17(2):182-191. https://doi.org/10.1097/ID.0b013e31817776cf
- Davarpanah M, Martinez H, TECUCIANU JF, Celletti R, Lazzara R. Small?diameter implants: Indications and contraindications. J Esthet Rest Dent. 2000 Jul;12(4):186-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2000.tb00221.x
- Froum SJ, Cho SC, Cho YS, Elian N, Tarnow D. Narrow-diameter implants: a restorative option for limited interdental space. Int J Periodont Rest Dent. 2007;27(5):449-455
- Sohrabi K, Mushantat A, Esfandiari S, Feine J. How successful are small-diameter implants? A literature review. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23(5):515-525. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2011.02410.x
- Comfort MB, Chu FC, Chai J, Wat PY, Chow TW. A 5-year prospective study on small diameter screw-shaped oral implants. J Oral Rehabil. 2005; 32(5):341-345. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2004.01441.x
- Tarnow D, Elian N, Fletcher P, Froum S, Magner A, Cho SC, Salama M, Salama H, Garber DA. Vertical distance from the crest of bone to the height of the interproximal papilla between adjacent implants. J Periodontol. 2003; 74(12):1785-1788. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2003.74.12.1785
- Roberts WE, Garetto LP, DeCastro RA. Remodeling of devitalized bone threatens periosteal margin integrity of endosseous titanium implants with threaded or smooth surfaces: indications for provisional loading and axially directed occlusion. J Indiana Dent Assoc 1989;68(4):19-24
- Misch CE. Density of bone: effect on treatment plans, surgical approach, healing, and progressive bone loading. Int J Oral Implantol. 1990;6(2):23-31.
- Kumari P, Verma M, Sainia V, Gupta A, Gupta R, Gill S. Mini?Implants, Mega Solutions: A Case Series. J Prosthodont. 2016;25(8):682-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/jopr.12382
- Vigolo P, Givani A, Majzoub Z, Oordioli G. Clinical evaluation of small-diameter implants in single-tooth and multiple-implant restorations: a 7-year retrospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant. 2004;19(5): 703-709.
- Bidra AS, Almas K. Mini implants for definitive prosthodontic treatment: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2013;109(3):156-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(13)60035-9