Main Article Content
This review explored the recent advancements in fiber-reinforced composites (FRCs) within the context of restorative dentistry. Dental composites have undergone significant transformations, with FRCs emerging as a groundbreaking development at the intersection of aesthetics and mechanical performance. The objective of this review is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the innovative strategies employed in FRCs to address the challenges of polymerization shrinkage, wear resistance, mechanical strength, and aesthetics. FRCs, composed of fiber reinforcements strategically aligned within a resin matrix, offer enhanced flexural strength, fracture toughness, and wear resistance, essential for the longevity of dental restorations. The review further explored the dynamic relationship between fiber alignment and restoration design, highlighting the adaptability of FRCs for varied applications, from post and core restorations to bridges and splints. Through an intricate interplay of materials science and clinical demands, FRCs have revolutionized dental composites by seamlessly integrating form and function. This review underscores the transformative potential of FRCs in restorative dentistry, shedding light on the path to enhanced clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Alla RK. Restorative Materials: Composite Resins, (In) Dental Materials Science. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi, India. 2013:130-48.
- Ravi RK, Alla RK, Mohammed S, Devarhubli A. Dental Composites - A Versatile Restorative Material: An Overview. Ind J Den Sci. 2013;5(5): 111-115.
- Kadali NS, Alla RK, Guduri V, MC SS. An overview of dentin bonding agents. Int J Dent Mater. 2019;1(2):60-7. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2019.1204
- Ferracane JL. Resin composite—State of the art. Dent Mater. 2011;27(1): 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2010.10.020
- Yazici AR, Antonson SA, Kutuk ZB, Ergin E. Thirty-six-month clinical evaluation of a nanofilled composite resin and a ceramic-reinforced nanofilled composite resin. J Adhes Dent. 2017;19(4):323-330. https://doi.org/10.2341/16-220-C
- Heintze SD, Rousson V. Clinical effectiveness of direct class II restorations—a meta-analysis. J Adhes Dent. 2012;14(5): 407-431. https://doi.org/10.3290/j.jad.a28390
- Feitosa VP, Ramos AB, Münchow EA. The role of bioactive materials in promoting the remineralization of enamel lesions: A review. Braz Oral Res. 2019;33(suppl 1): e067.
- Bilkhair A. Fatigue behaviour and failure modes of monolithic CAD/CAM hybrid-ceramic and all-ceramic posterior crown restorations (Doctoral dissertation, Dissertation, Universität Freiburg, 2014).
- Harsha GVD, Anoosha M, Pradeep K, Padmapriya CV, Ravi Varma, Usha Sree RS. Fiber reinforced composite and surface coated esthetic archwires: a review. Int J Dent Mater. 2020;1(3):85-8. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2019.1303
- Vallittu PK. Survival rates of resin-bonded, glass fiber-reinforced composite fixed partial dentures with a mean follow-up of 42-months: a pilot study. J Prosthet Dent. 2004;91:241–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.01.002
- Spinas E, Aresu M, Canargiu F. Prosthetic rehabilitation interventions in adolescents with fixed bridges: a 5-year observational study. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2013;14:59–62..
- Shahabaz SM, Sharma S, Shetty N, Shetty SD, Gowrishankar MC. Influence of temperature on mechanical properties and machining of fibre reinforced polymer composites: a review. Engineered Sci. 2021;16:26-46..
- Ñaupari-Villasante R, Ocampo JB, Cardenas AF, Muniz LP, Siqueira FS, Moreira AC, Feitosa VP, Loguercio AD. Effect of the Viscosity and Application Time of Different Phosphoric Acids on the Bond Strength and Nanoleakage of Fiber Posts to Root Dentin. Oper Dent. 2022;47(6):E253-63. https://doi.org/10.2341/21-118-L
- Khan AA, Zafar MS, Fareed MA, AlMufareh NA, Alshehri F, AlSunbul H, Lassila L, Garoushi S, Vallittu PK. Fiber-reinforced composites in dentistry–An insight into adhesion aspects of the material and the restored tooth construct. Dent Mater. 2023;39(2):141-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2022.12.003
- Fennis WM, Kuijs RH, Kreulen CM, Roeters FJ, Creugers NH, Burgersdijk RC. A survey of cusp fractures in a population of general dental practices. Int J Prosthodont. 2002;15(6):559-63.
- Aldabib J. Reinforcement of poly (methyl methacrylate) denture base material. Dent Med J-Review. 2020;2(2):46-53.
- Vallittu PK. Glass fiber reinforcement in repaired acrylic resin removable dentures: Preliminary results of a clinical study. Quintessence Int. 1997;28(1):39-44.
- Zarone F, Sorrentino R, Traini T, Caputi S. Fracture resistance of implant-supported screw-versus cement-retained porcelain fused to metal single crowns: SEM fractographic analysis. Dent Mater. 2007;23(3):296-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2005.10.013
- Dyer SR, Lassila LV, Jokinen M, Vallittu PK. Effect of fiber position and orientation on fracture load of fiber reinforced composite. Dent Mater. 2004;20:947–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2003.12.003
- Murphy J. Reinforced plastics handbook. 2nd ed. Oxford: Elsevier Advanced Technology; 1998. p. 265.
- Marisetty ST, Madhu Varma K, Sajjan GS, Kolla VB, Nanda Kishore K, Raheem M. Evaluation of different custom angulated elastic glass fibre post on fracture resistance of maxillary central incisor: an in vitro study. Int J Dent Mater. 2021;3(3):84-9. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2021.3303
- Garoushi S, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Short glass fiber reinforced restorative composite resin with semi-inter penetrating polymer network matrix. Dent Mater. 2007;23:1356–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2006.11.017
- Sebold M, André CB, Sahadi BO, Breschi L, Giannini M. Chronological history and current advancements of dental adhesive systems development: a narrative review. J Adhes Sci Technol. 2021;35(18):1941-67. https://doi.org/10.1080/01694243.2020.1865611
- Rosentritt M, Behr M, Handel G. Fixed partial dentures: all?ceramics, fibre?reinforced composites and experimental systems. J Oral Rehabil. 2003;30(9):873-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.2003.01075.x
- Lastumäki TM, Lassila LV, Vallittu PK. The semi-interpenetrating polymer network matrix of fiber-reinforced composite and its effect on the surface adhesive properties. Journal of Materials Science: Mater Med. 2003;14:803-9. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025044623421
- Mount GJ. A new paradigm for operative dentistry. Journal of Conservative Dentistry: JCD. 2008;11(1):3. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.43411
- Alla R, Sajjan S, Alluri V, Ginjupalli K, Upadhya N. Influence of Fiber Reinforcement on the Properties of Denture Base Resins. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol. 2013;4(1):91-97. https://doi.org/10.4236/jbnb.2013.41012
- Kumbuloglu O, ÖZCAN M, User A. Fracture strength of direct surface-retained fixed partial dentures: effect of fiber reinforcement versus the use of particulate filler composites only. Dent Mater J. 2008;27(2):195-202. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.27.195
- Garoushi S, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Short glass fiber reinforced restorative composite resin with semi-inter penetrating polymer network matrix. Dent Mater. 2007;23(11): 1356-1362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2006.11.017
- Brunner KC, Özcan M. Load bearing capacity and Weibull characteristics of inlay-retained resin-bonded fixed dental prosthesis made of all-ceramic, fiber-reinforced composite and metal-ceramic after cyclic loading. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2020 Sep 1;109:103855. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2020.103855
- Sarrett DC. Clinical challenges and the relevance of materials testing for posterior composite restorations. Dent Mater. 2005;21(1):9-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2004.10.001
- Ozcan M, Vallittu PK. Effect of surface conditioning methods on the bond strength of luting cement to ceramics. Dent Mater. 2003;19(8): 725-731. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(03)00019-8
- Cacciafesta V, Sfondrini MF, Lena A, Scribante A, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Flexural strengths of fiber-reinforced composites polymerized with conventional light-curing and additional postcuring. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped. 2007;132(4):524-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.09.036
- Fathy H, Hamama HH, El-Wassefy N, Mahmoud SH. Effect of different surface treatments on resin-matrix cad/cam ceramics bonding to dentin: In vitro study. BMC Oral Health. 2022;22(1):1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-022-02674-5
- Konakanchi A, Alla RK, Guduri V. Silane Coupling Agents-Benevolent Binders in Composites. Trends Biomater Artif Organs. 2017;31(3):108-113.
- Hua Y, Ding B, Jiang S, Li H, Gu X, Zhang S. Surface modification of glass fibers for flame retardant and reinforced polyamide 6 composites. Composites Communications. 2022;35:101308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coco.2022.101308