Background: Bibliometric studies are important as they provide an overview of research and scientific activity in a specific field. But studies of this type to determine the characteristics of the most cited articles in dental materials journals are completely lacking.
Aim: To analyze the characteristics of 100 most-cited articles in dental materials journals since its inception through April 2019.
Material and methods: Google scholar database was used to retrieve the list of journals titled with the term ‘‘dental materials”. A search was then conducted under "Publication Name" for each of the selected journals, and the articles were grouped by the category "Times Cited". The 100 highly cited papers published in five journals were contemplated in the eventual inquiry. The final collection was subjected to further scrutiny to determine the nature and characteristics of the documented revelations regard to journal name, year of publication, authors and their country, type of article, and area of research.
Results: The 100 most-cited articles were published between 1985 and 2016 with maximum publications during 2001-05. The number of citations was ranging from 1926to 304. Only Dental Materials (97), Dental Materials Journal (3), shared the list. The United States tops the list with 25 articles followed by Germany (12) and Belgium (11). Dental composites and adhesives were the most commonly addressed topics in dental materials journals.
Conclusions: This bibliometric analysis connoted the evolving and interesting research trends in dental material science.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Bayne SC, Ferracane JL, Marshall GW, Marshall SJ, van Noort R. The Evolution of Dental Materials over the Past Century: Silver and Gold to Tooth Color and Beyond. J Dent Res. 2019;98:257-265. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034518822808
- Deshmukh V. Why not MDS in dental material sciences? J Int Clin Dent Res Organ. 2016;8:97. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-0754.186420
- Gondivkar SM, Sarode SC, Gadbail AR, Gondivkar RS, Chole R, Sarode GS. Bibliometric analysis of 100 most cited articles on oral submucous fibrosis. J Oral Pathol Med.2018;47:781-787. https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12742
- Beatriz T, Rut Lucas D, Paredes Gallardo V, Alonso Arroyo A, Vidal-Infer A. The 100 most-cited articles in orthodontics: A bibliometric study. Angle Orthod.2018;88:785-796. https://doi.org/10.2319/012418-65.1
- Pena-Cristobal M, Diniz-Freitas M, Monteiro L, Diz Dios P, Warnakulasuriya S. The 100 most cited articles on oral cancer. J Oral Pathol Med.2018;47:333-344. https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12686
- Ahmad P, Dummer PM, Noorani TY, Asif JA. The top 50 most?cited articles published in the International Endodontic Journal. Int Endod J. 2019;52:803-818. https://doi.org/10.1111/iej.13083
- Kochhar VB, Subba Rao A, Arora AM, Elhence D. Materials research in India: A quantitative analysis. Bibliometrics, scientometrics and Informetrics, edited by BM Gupta. Segment, New Delhi. 1996:154-613.
- Walke R, Dhawan S. Materials Science Research in India: A Scientometric Analysis. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology. 2007,27:69-76. https://doi.org/10.14429/djlit.28.7.124
- Kademani BS, Anil S, Bhanumurthy K. Research and impact of materials science publications in India: 1999-2008. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science.2017;16:63-82.
- Stack S. Citation classics in suicide and life-threatening behavior: A research note. Suicide Life Threat Behav.2012;42:628–639. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1943-278X.2012.00117.x
- Garfield E. "What is a citation classic. 2013. http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics.html. [accessed 17 Jan 2019].
- Fardi A, Kodonas K, Gogos C, Economides N. Top-cited articles in endodontic journals. J Endod. 2011;37:1183-1190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2011.05.037
- Corbella S, Francetti L, Taschieri S, Weinstein R, Del Fabbro M. Analysis of the 100 most cited articles in periodontology. J Investig Clin Dent. 2017;8:e12222. https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12222
- Baltussen A, Kindler CH. Citation classics in anesthetic journals. AnesthAnalg.2004;98:443-451. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ANE.0000096185.13474.0A
- Lutz F, Phillips RW. A classification and evaluation of composite resin systems. J Prosthet Dent.1983;50:480-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(83)90566-8
- Dove J, Sheridan P. Adhesive protein from mussels: possibilities for dentistry, medicine, and industry. J Am Dent Assoc.1986;112:879. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1986.0116
- Glenny AM, Esposito M, Coulthard P, Worthington HV. The assessment of systematic reviews in dentistry. Eur J of oral sci.2003;111:85-92. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0722.2003.00013.x
- H. Saltaji GG, Cummings S, Armijo-Olivo MP et al. A descriptive analysis of oral health systematic reviews published 1991-2012: cross-sectional study. PLoS One. 2013;8: e74545. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0074545
- Antonio Alarcón M, Esparza D, Montoya C, Monje A, Faggion Jr CM. The 300 Most-Cited Articles in Implant Dentistry. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2017;32: e1-e8. https://doi.org/10.11607/jomi.5104
- Hui J, Han Z, Geng G, Yan W, Shao P. The 100 most-cited articles in orthodontics from 1975 to 2011. Angle Orthod.2012;83:491-949. https://doi.org/10.2319/040512-284.1
- Tam WW, Wong EL, Wong FC, Hui DS. Citation classics: Top 50 cited articles in ‘respiratory system’. Respirology.2013;18:71–81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2012.02262.x
- Ibrahim GM, Snead OC, Rutka JT, Lozano AM. The most cited works in epilepsy: Trends in the ‘‘citation classics’’. Epilepsia.2012;53:765–770. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2012.03455.x
- Rosenberg A, Tripathi R, Blum J. The most influential articles in critical care medicine. J Crit Care.2010;25:157–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2008.12.010
- Cassar A, Downey R, Byrne D, Molon D, Mulhall K. The 25 most cited articles in arthroscopic orthopedic surgery. Arthroscopy.2012;28:548–564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2011.08.312
- Pasterkamp G, Rotmans JI, De Kleun DVP, Borst C. Citation frequency: A biased measure of research impact significantly influenced by the geographical origin of research articles. Scientometrics 2007;70:153–165. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-007-0109-5