Background: Poly (Methyl methacrylic acid) based materials are widely used for the fabrication of removable complete and partial denture prosthesis. Regular cleansing of these dentures may abrade the surface due to an inherent lack of adequate surface hardness. This roughness may adhere food to the denture surface, making it dirty and further cause stomatitis. Recently, antimicrobial activity of denture base materials incorporated with silver nanoparticles was studied, that may logically prevent microbial growth on the denture. However, the effect of these nanoparticles on the mechanical properties, which provide longevity to the prosthesis, was not substantiated.
Aim: This study was designed to evaluate the effect of incorporating various concentrations of silver nanoparticles into heat-cure denture base resin materials, on their surface hardness.
Materials and methods: Silver nanoparticles were incorporated at various concentrations (0.5, 1.0, 2.0 and 5.0 wt%) into three different heat-cure denture base materials. A total of 150 rectangular-shaped specimens (62 x 10 x 2.5), which comprises 50 samples from each of the three heat-cure acrylic resins were made using the compression moulding technique. Ten specimens (n=10) were allocated for each concentration such as control, 0.5wt%, 1.0wt%, 2.0wt% and 5.0wt% concentrations of silver nanoparticles. The microhardness was evaluated using the Vickers micro-hardness tester. The data were subjected to One way ANOVA and Tukey HSD tests for statistical analyses.
Results: Significant differences (p=0.000) were observed between the unmodified and modified denture base materials.
Conclusion: Silver nanoparticles can be considered as the favourable additives to increase the surface hardness of denture base materials.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Anusavice KJ. Science of Dental Materials. 11th edition, India, Elsevier,2010. Chapter 22: Denture Base Resins, p.721-758.
- Alla RK. Dental Materials Science. 1st edition, India, Jaypee Medical Publishers Pvt. Ltd. 2013. Chapter 11: Denture Base Resins, p.248-284. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp/books/12018_11
- Alla RK, Raghavendra Swamy KN, Ritu Vyas, Konakanchi A. Conventional and Contemporary polymers for the fabrication of denture prosthesis: part I – Overview, composition and properties. Int J App Dent Sci. 2015;1(4):82-89.
- Alla RK, Suresh Sajjan MC, Ramaraju AV, Ginjupalli K, Upadhya NP. Influence of fiber reinforcement on the properties of denture base resins. J BiomaterNanobiotech. 2013; 4(1):91-97. https://doi.org/10.4236/jbnb.2013.41012
- Najla S. Dar-Odeh, Mohammad Al-Beyari, Osama A. Abu-Hammad, The role of antifungal drugs in the management of denture-associated stomatitis, The International Arabic Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2(1); 2012:1-5.
- KN Raghavendra Swamy, Rama Krishna Alla, Shammas Mohammed, Anusha Konakanchi. The Role of Antifungal Agents in Treating Denture Stomatitis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018;11(4):1365-1369. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00254.8
- Pachava KR, Shenoy KK, Nadendla LK, Reddy MR, Denture Stomatitis – A Review, Ind J Dent Adv. 2013;5 (1): 1107-1112.
- Alla RK, Vineeth G, Kandi V, Swamy KNR, Vyas R, Narasimha Rao G. Evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of heat-cure denture base resin materials incorporated with silver nanoparticles. Int J Dent Mater 2019;1(2): 40 - 47. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2019.1201
- Rama Krishna Alla, K. N. Raghavendra Swamy, Ritu Vyas, Anusha Konakanchi, Vineeth Guduri, Praveen Gadde. Influence of Silver Nanoparticles Incorporation on Flexural Strength of Heat-cure Acrylic Denture Base Resin Materials. Annual Research & Review in Biology. 2017;17(4):1-8. https://doi.org/10.9734/ARRB/2017/36581
- Farina AP, Cecchin D, Soares RG, Botelho AL, Takahashi JMFK, Mazzetto MO, et al. Evaluation of Vickers hardness of different types of acrylic denture base resins with and without glass fibre reinforcement: Vickers hardness of glass fibre acrylic resins. Gerodontology 2012;29:e155–60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00435.x
- Neppelenbroek KH, Pavarina AC, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET. Hardness of heat-polymerized acrylic resins after disinfection and long-term water immersion. J Prosthet Dent 2005;93:171–176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.10.020
- Moussa AR, Dehis WM, Elboraey AN, ElGabry HS. A Comparative Clinical Study of the Effect of Denture Cleansing on the Surface Roughness and Hardness of Two Denture Base Materials. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2016;4:476. https://doi.org/10.3889/oamjms.2016.089
- Rodrigues Garcia RCM, Joane Augusto de S, Rached RN, Del Bel Cury AA. Effect of denture cleansers on the surface roughness and hardness of a microwave-cured acrylic resin and dental alloys. J Prosthodont2004;13:173–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.2004.04028.x
- Sehajpal SB, Sood VK. Effect of metal fillers on some physical properties of acrylic resin. J Prosthet Dent 1989;61:746–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(89)80055-1
- Vallittu PK, Lassila VP. Effect of metal strengthener’s surface roughness on fracture resistance of acrylic denture base material. J Oral Rehabil1992;19:385–91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1992.tb01580.x
- Stafford GD, Bates JF, Huggett R, Handley RW. A review of the properties of some denture base polymers. J Dent 1980;8:292–306. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(80)90043-3
- Low IM. Effects of load and time on the hardness of a viscoelastic polymer. Mater Res Bull 1998;33:1753–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-5408(98)00179-2
- Azevedo A, Machado AL, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET, Pavarina AC. Hardness of denture base and hard chair-side reline acrylic resins. J Appl Oral Sci Rev FOB 2005;13:291–5. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572005000300017
- Zhang H, Darvell BW. Mechanical properties of hydroxyapatite whisker-reinforced bis-GMA-based resin composites. Dent Mater Off PublAcad Dent Mater 2012;28:824–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2012.04.030
- Hari Prasad A., Kalavathy, Mohammed H.S. Effect of Glass Fiber and Silane Treated Glass Fiber Reinforcement on Impact Strength of Maxillary Complete Denture. Ann Essences Dent 2011;3:7–12. https://doi.org/10.5368/aedj.2011.3.4.1.2
- Balos S, Pilic B, Markovic D, Pavlicevic J, Luzanin O. Poly (methyl-methacrylate) nanocomposites with low silica addition. J Prosthet Dent 2014;111:327–334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2013.06.021
- MahrooVojdani, Rafat Bagheri, Amir Ali Reza Khaledi. Effects of aluminum oxide addition on the flexural strength, surface hardness, and roughness of heat-polymerized acrylic resin. J Dent Sci 2012;7:238–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jds.2012.05.008
- Masouras K, Silikas N, Watts DC. Correlation of filler content and elastic properties of resin-composites. Dent Mater 2008;24:932–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2007.11.007
- Sodagar A, Bahador A, Khalil S, Shahroudi AS, Kassaee MZ. The effect of TiO2 and SiO2 nanoparticles on flexural strength of poly (methyl methacrylate) acrylic resins. J Prosthodont Res 2013;57:15–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpor.2012.05.001
- Sokolowski J, Szynkowska MI, Kleczewska J, Kowalski Z, Sobczak-Kupiec A, Pawlaczyk A, et al. Evaluation of resin composites modified with nanogold and nanosilver. Acta BioengBiomech2014;16:51–61. https://doi.org/10.18388/abp.2014_1902
- Andreotti AM, Goiato MC, Moreno A, Pesqueira AA, dos Santos DM. Influence of nanoparticles on color stability, microhardness, and flexural strength of acrylic resins specific for ocular prosthesis. Int J Nanomedicine 2014;9:5779–87. https://doi.org/10.2147/IJN.S71533
- Fan C, Chu L, Rawls HR, Norling BK, Cardenas HL, Whang K. Development of an antimicrobial resin—A pilot study. Dent Mater 2011;27:322–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2010.11.008
- Bahrani F, Safari A, Vojdani M, Karampoor G. Comparison of Hardness and Surface Roughness of Two Denture bases Polymerized by Different Methods. World J Dent 2012;3:171–5. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1151
- Alhareb AO, Akil HM, Ahmad ZA. Impact strength, fracture toughness and hardness improvement of PMMA denture base through addition of nitrile rubber/ceramic fillers. Saudi J Dent Res 2017;8:26–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjdr.2016.04.004
- Asopa V, Suresh S, Khandelwal M, Sharma V, Asopa SS, Kaira LS. A comparative evaluation of properties of zirconia reinforced high impact acrylic resin with that of high impact acrylic resin. Saudi J Dent Res 2015;6:146–51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjdr.2015.02.003
- Chladek G, Kasperski J, Barszczewska-Rybarek I, ?mudzki J. Sorption, Solubility, Bond Strength and Hardness of Denture Soft Lining Incorporated with Silver Nanoparticles. Int J Mol Sci 2012;14:563–74. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms14010563
- Arora S, Arora A, Upadhyaya V, Goyal A. Evaluation of the mechanical properties of high impact denture base resin with different polymer to monomer ratios: An In vitro study. Indian J Dent Sci 2017;9:67. https://doi.org/10.4103/IJDS.IJDS_26_17