Background: Repair of direct composites are less invasive than replacement, diminishing the risk of iatrogenic exposure of the pulp and the risk of detrimental to adjacent teeth, all in all, reducing the procession of the “restoration death spiral”.
Aim: This study aimed to evaluate the repair bond strength of aged resin composites using different surface treatments and bonding protocols.
Materials and Methods: A total of 45 discs (n=45) were fabricated of Nanohybrid composite measuring about 2.5 mm in height and 3.5 mm in diameter and were mounted in acrylic resin and subjected to 10,000 thermal cycles between 5-55 ? C with 30 seconds of dwell time in a thermocycler in order to simulate artificial ageing. All these samples were assigned into three groups (n=15) based on the surface treatment protocol. According to the bonding protocol, the samples in each group are further divided into three subgroups (n=5). After surface treatments of the aged composites, the application of bonding agent followed by new composite material was performed. All the samples were stored in distilled water at 37 ? C for 24 hours. The shear bond strength of the samples was measured using a universal testing machine at a crosshead speed of 1mm/min.
Results: Among the groups, the mean bond strength in medium grain diamond bur and 37% phosphoric acid etchant with the universal bonding agent subgroup was higher 852.56±27.71 than the remaining groups. The lowest mean bond strength of 200.9±10.62 was observed in 37% Etchant with direct composite subgroup.
Conclusion: Different combinations of surface treatments and bonding protocols affect shear bond strength differently. The highest shear bond strength values were achieved for the group where surface treatment was done with the combination of blue diamond bur and 37% phosphoric acid along with a universal bonding agent.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Leevailoj C, Ua-wutthikrerk P, Poolthong S. Shear bond strength of dual-cured and self-cured resin composites to dentin using different bonding agents and techniques. Oper Dent 2007;32(2):149-159. https://doi.org/10.2341/06-41
- Ferracane JL. Resin composite- State of the art. Dent Mater 2011;27(1):29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2010.10.020
- Lynch CD, Opdam NJ, Hickel R, Brunton PA, Gurgan S, Kakaboura A, Shearer AC, Vanherlr G, Wilson NHF. Guidance on posterior resin composites: Academy of Operative Dentistry- European Section. J Dent 2014;42(4):377-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2014.01.009
- Ruchi Gupta, Anil K Tomer, Anamika Kumari. In vitro evaluation of marginal sealing ability of Bulk fill Flowable composite resins. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2017;16(1):10-13. https://doi.org/10.9790/0853-1601111013
- Lee SK, Kim TW, Son SA, Park JK, Kim JH, Kim HI, et al. Influence of light-curing units on the polymerization of low-shrinkage composite resins. Dent Mater J 2013;32(5):688-694. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2013-027
- Parpaiola AR, Guimaraes PS, Franca FM, Basting RT. Small cross-sectional survey of composite restoration attributes associated with choices for replacement. Braz Oral Res. 2009;23(3):346-351. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242009000300020
- Hasan M, Khan FR, Rahman M. Teaching and practice of repair of resin composite restorations in dental institutions of Karachi. J Pak Dent Assoc. 2011;20(4):216-221.
- Ferracane JL. Hygroscopic and hydrolytic effects in dental polymer networks. Dent Mater. 2006;22(3):211-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2005.05.005
- Musanje L, Darvel BW. Aspects of water sorption from the air, water and artificial saliva in resin composite restorative materials. Dent Mater. 2003;19(5):414-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(02)00085-4
- Soderholm KJ, Mukherjee R, Longmate J. Filler leachabiity of composites stored in distilled water or artificial saliva. J Dent Res. 1996;75(9):1692-1699. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345960750091201
- Major IA, Moorhead JE, Dahl JE. Reasons for replacement of restorations in permanent teeth in general dental practice. Int Dent J. 2000;50(1):361-366. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2000.tb00569.x
- Valente LL, Onofre RS, Goncalves AP, Fernandez E, Loomans B, Moraes RR. Repair bond strength of dental composites: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Adhes & Adhesives. 2016;1(1):01-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2016.03.020
- Hickel R, Peschke A, Tyas M, et al. FDI word dental federation: clinical criteria for the evaluation of direct and indirect restorations- update and clinical examples. Clin Oral Invest. 2010;14(2):349-366. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-010-0432-8
- Brendeke J, Ozcan M. Effect of physicochemical aging conditions on the composite-composite repair bond strength. J Adhes Dent 2007;9(3):399-406.
- Sharif MO, Cateugh M, Merry A, Tickle M, Dunne SM, et al. Replacement versus repair of defective restorations in adults: resin composite. The Cochrane Collaboration John Wiley & Sons Ltd 2010;2(1):01-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005971.pub2
- Lewis G, Johnson W, Martin W, Canerdy A, Claburn C, Collier M. Shear bond strength of immediately repaired light-cured composite resin restorations. Oper Dent. 1998;23(3):121-127.
- Jagadish SM. The role of oxygen inhibited layer on the shear bond strength of composites: an in vitro evaluation. J Conserv Dent. 2007;10(1):01-04. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.42273
- Cakir NN, Demirbuga S, Balkaya H, et al. Bonding performance of universal adhesives on composite repairs, with or without silane application. J Conserv Dent. 2018;21(2):263-268. https://doi.org/10.4103/JCD.JCD_11_18
- Ritter AV, Sulaiman TA, Altitinchi A, Bair E, Filho FB, Gonzaga CC, Correr GM. Composite-composite adhesion as a function of adhesive-composite material and surface treatment. Oper Dent. 2019;44(4):348-354. https://doi.org/10.2341/18-037-L
- Papacchini F, DalOca S, Chieffi N, Goracci C, Sadek FT, Suh BI, et al. Composite-to-composite microtensile bond strength in the repair of a microfiled hybrid resin: Effect of surface treatment and oxygen inhibition. J Adhes Dent. 2007;9(4):25-31.
- Brosh T, Pilo R, Bichacho N, Blutstein R. Effect of combinations of surface treatments and bonding agents on the bond strength of repaired composites. J Prosthet Dent. 1997;77(2):122-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(97)70224-5
- Furuse AY, da Cunha LF, Benetti AR, Mondelli J. Bond strength of resin-resin interfaces contaminated with saliva and submitted to different surface treatments. J Appl Oral Sci. 2007;15(6):501-505. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572007000600009
- Cavalcanti AN, De Lima AF, Peris AR, Mitsui FH, Marchi GM. Effect of surface treatments and bonding agents on the bond strength of repaired composites. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2007;19(2):90-98. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1708-8240.2007.00073.x
- Bouschlicher MR, Reinhardt JW, Vargas MA. Surface treatment techniques for resin composite repair. Am J Dent. 1997;10(6):279-283.
- Jr Rodrigues SA, Ferracane JL, Della Bona A. Influence of surface treatments on the bond strength of repaired resin composite restorative materials. Dent Mater. 2009;25(4):442-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2008.09.009
- Shahdad SA, Kennedy JG. Bond strength of repaired anterior composite resins: an in vitro study. J Dent 1998;26(8):685-694. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(97)00044-4
- Saraswathi MV, Jacob G, Ballal NV. Evaluation of the influence of flowable liner and two different adhesive systems on the microleakage of packable composite resin. J Interdisciplinary Dent 2012;2(2):98-103. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-5194.100601
- Ravi RK, Alla RK, Shammas M, Devarhubli A. Dental Composites-A Versatile Restorative Material: An Overview. Indian Journal of Dental Sciences. 2013;5(5):111-15.
- Dara L, Buchi D, Mantena SR, Varma M, Chandrappa V. Recent Advances in Dental Composites: An Overview. Int J Dent Mater. 2019;1(2):48-54. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2019.1202
- Shafiei F, Saadat M. Micromorphology and bond strength evaluation of adhesive interface of a self-adhering flowable composite resin-dentin: effect of surface treatment. Microsc Res Tech. 2016;79(5):403-407. https://doi.org/10.1002/jemt.22643
- Van Landuyt KL, Snauwaert J, De Munck J, Peumans M, Yoshida Y, Poitevin A, et al. Systematic review of the chemical composition of contemporary dental adhesives. Biomater. 2007;28(26):3757-3785. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2007.04.044
- Montes MA, de Goes MF, Sinhoreti MA. The in vitro morphological effects of some current pre-treatments on dentin surface: A SEM evaluation. Oper Dent. 2005;30(5):201-212.
- Kadali NS, Alla RK, Guduri V, Sajjan S. An overview of dentin bonding agents. Int J Dent Mater. 2019;1(2):60-7. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2019.1204
- Bonstein T, Garlapo D, Jr Donarummo J, Bush PJ. Evaluation of varied repair protocols applied to aged composite resin. J Adhes Dent. 2005;7(1):41-49.
- Ozel BO, Eren D, Herguner SS, Akin GE. Effect of thermocycling on the bond strength of composite resin to bur and laser treated composite resin. Lasers Med Sci. 2012;27(3):723-728. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-011-0958-2
- Ozcan M, Cura C, Brendeke J. Effect of aging conditions on the repair bond strength of a microhybrid and a nanohybrid resin composite. J Adhes Dent. 2010;12(4):451-459.
- Strassler HE. Clinical decision-making for restoration replacement or repair. Inside Dentistry. 2012;2(2):02-06.
- Rathke A, Tymina Y, Haller B. Effect of different surface treatments on the composite-composite repair bond strength. Clin Oral Invest 2009;13(2):317-323. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-008-0228-2
- Lucena-Martin C, Gonzalez-Lopez S, Navajas-Rodriguez de Mondela JM. The effect of various surface treatments and bonding agents on the repaired strength of heat-treated composites. J Prosthet Dent. 2001;86(2):481-488. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2001.116775
- Teixeira EC, Bayne SC, Thompson JY, Ritter AV, Swift EJ. Shear bond strength of self-etching bonding systems in combination with various composites used for repairing aged composites. J Adhes Dent. 2005;7(2):159-164.
- Swift EJ, Perdigao J, Heymann HO. Bonding to enamel and dentin: a brief story and state of the art. Quintessence Int. 1995;26(2):95-110
- Balkenhol M, Michel K, Stelzig J, Wostmann B. Repairability of cross-linked biopolymers. J Dent Res. 2009;88(3):152-157. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034508329703
- Eliguzeloglu E, Omurlu H, Eskitascioglu G, Belli S. Effect of surface treatments and different adhesives on the hybrid layer thickness of non-carious cervical lesions. Operative dentistry. 2008;33(3):338-45. https://doi.org/10.2341/07-96
- Sabatini C. Effect of phosphoric acid etching on the shear bond strength of two self-etch adhesives. J Appl Oral Sci. 2013;21(1):56-62. https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-7757201302370
- Eliasson ST, Dahl JE. Effect of curing and silanizing on composite repair bond strength using an improved micro-tensile test method. Acta biomaterialia odontologica Scandinavica. 2017;3(1):21-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/23337931.2017.1301211
- Ferracane JL, Berge HX, Condon JR. In vitro aging of dental composite in water-effect of degree of conversion, filer volume, and filer/matrix coupling. J Biomed Mater Res 1998;42(1):465-472. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4636(19981205)42:3<465::AID-JBM17>3.0.CO;2-F