Section Original Articles
Physical properties of dental plaster filled with marble powder: a pilot study
Background: Gypsum materials are frequently utilized in dental technology. Dental plaster is one of these products that is mainly used to produce dental casts and mounting purposes. Although the cost of dental plaster is very low, their inferior compressive strength, low abrasion resistance and dimensional instability restricted their usage as primary and working casts. The inclusion of different fillers in gypsum products could play an important role in improving their performance.
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the physical properties of dental plaster incorporated with various concentrations of Marble powder (MP).
Methodology: Gypsum composites were prepared by incorporating 1.0, 3.0, 6.0 and 9.0 wt.% of MP. The neat plaster/mixture comprised the control group. The prepared gypsum composites samples were characterized in comparison with the control group. The density, porosity and fluidity of dental MP/plaster samples were investigated. The correlation between density and fluidity was also conducted.
Results: The gypsum composite samples displayed a higher density of 47% than the control group. However, a remarkable decrease in porosity level was observed as MP content increased. Significant improvements in the fluidity of the dental plaster after impregnating MP filler (p<0.05) whereas there is no significant correlation between density and fluidity of gypsum composites (p>0.05).
Conclusion: The concentration of MP in dental plaster is proportional to the density and fluidity of the material and inversely proportional to its porosity.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Hamdy TM, Abdelnabi A, Abdelraouf RM. Reinforced dental plaster with low setting expansion and enhanced microhardness. Bull Natl Res Cent. 2020:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s42269-020-00334-8.
- Hamdy TM. Effect of aluminum oxide addition on compressive strength, microhardness and setting expansion of dental plaster. Int J Adv Res. 2019;7(9):652-657. https://doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9711
- Queiroz ME, Santos Proença J, Fernando Ruiz Contreras E. Evaluation of the Physical-Mechanical Properties of Type IV Gypsum. J Health Sci. 2021;23(1):07-11. https://doi.org/10.17921/2447-8938.2021v23n1p07-11
- Manappallil JJ. Basic Dental Materials, Fourth ed. USA: Jaypee Medical Publishers (P) Ltd., 2016. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp/books/12669
- Al-Ridha ASD, Abbood AA, Al-Asadi LSM, Hussein HH, Dheyab LS. Effect of Adding Chopped Carbon Fiber (CCF) on the Improvement of Gypsum Plaster Characteristics. IOP Conf Ser: Mater Sci Eng. 2020;988:1-14. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/988/1/012009
- Aljubori OM, Aljafery AMA, Al-Mussawi RM. Evaluation the Linear Dimensional Changes and Hardness of Gypsum Product / Stone Type IV after Adding Silica Nanoparticles. Nano Biomed Eng. 2020;12(3):227-231. https://doi.org/10.5101/nbe.v12i3.p227-231
- De Cesero L, de Oliveira EMN, Burnett Junior LH, Papaleo RM, Mota EG. The addition of silica nanoparticles on the mechanical properties of dental stone. J Prosthet Dent. 2017;118(4):535-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2017.01.001
- Ma L, Xie Q, Evelina A, Long W, Ma C, Zhou F, et al. The Effect of Different Additives on the Hydration and Gelation Properties of Composite Dental Gypsum. Gels. 2021;7(3):1-14. https://doi.org/10.3390/gels7030117
- Lendvai L, Singh T, Fekete G, Patnaik A, Dogossy G. Utilization of Waste Marble Dust in Poly(Lactic Acid)-Based Biocomposites: Mechanical, Thermal and Wear Properties. J Polym Environ. 2021;29(9):2952-2963. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10924-021-02091-9
- Nayak SK, Satapathy A. Development and characterization of polymer-based composites filled with micro-sized waste marble dust. Polymers and Polymer Composites. 2020; 29(5):497-508. https://doi.org/10.1177/0967391120926066
- Alyousef R, Benjeddou O, Khadimallah MA, Mohamed AM, Soussi C. Study of the Effects of Marble Powder Amount on the Self-Compacting Concretes Properties by Microstructure Analysis on Cement-Marble Powder Pastes. Adv Civ Eng. 2018;2018:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6018613
- Kumar TN, Vikas B, Krishna MR, Jyothi Y, Imran Sk. Development of composite slabs of marble powder embedded epoxy resin. Mater Today: Proc. 2018;5(5):13031-13035. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2018.02.289
- Seghir TN, Mellas M, Sadowski ?, Krolicka A, ?ak A, Ostrowski K. The Utilization of Waste Marble Dust as a Cement Replacement in Air-Cured Mortar. Sustainability. 2019;11(8):1-14. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11082215
- Kumar SR, Patnaik A, Bhat IK. Development and characterization of marble dust-filled dental composite. J Compos Mater. 2017;51(14):1997-2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998316666334
- Makaratat N, Rukzon S, Chindaprasirt P. Effects of delay time and curing temperature on compressive strength and porosity of ground bottom ash geopolymer mortar. J Met Mater Miner. 2021; 31(3):134-142.
- Michalakis KX, Asar NV, Kapsampeli V, Magkavali-Trikka P, Pissiotis AL, Hirayama H. Delayed linear dimensional changes of five high strength gypsum products used for the fabrication of definitive casts. J Prosthet Dent. 2012;108(3):189-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(12)60146-2
- Nagasawa Y, Hibino Y, Shigeta H, Eda Y, Matsumoto S, Nakajima H. Characteristics of a new dental stone mixed by shaking. Dent Mater J. 2020;39(3):355-366. https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2018-427
- AL-Ridha ASD, Abbood AA, Hussein HH. Improvement of Gypsum Properties Using S.F. Additive. Int J Sci Res. 2017;6(8):504-509.
- Al-Hadad AS, Al-Huwaizi AF, Al-Huwaizi RF. The Surface Hardness Measurement of Stone and Improved Die Stone After the Addition of a Mixture of Chemical Additives with Different Proportion. J Bagh Coll Dent. 2018;30(1):1-4. https://doi.org/10.12816/0046303
- Denizoglu S, Yanikoglu N, Baydas B. The Linear Setting Expansions of the Dental Stone and Whose Initial Setting Times. Dent. 2015;05(06):1-5. https://doi.org/10.4172/2161-1122.1000308
- Khalil AA, Tawfik A, Hegazy AA, El-Shahat MF. Effect of some waste additives on the physical and mechanical properties of gypsum plaster composites. Constr Build Mater. 2014;68:580-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.06.081
- Rejab LT, Al-Hamdani SF, Mohammed Y. Evaluation of Some Physical Properties of Die Stone. Al-Rafidain Dent J. 2012;12(2):309-315. https://doi.org/10.33899/rden.2012.65066
- Sheets J, Wee A, Simetich B, Beatty M. Effect of Water Dilution on Full-Arch Gypsum Implant Master Casts. Prosthesis. 2020;2(4):266-276. https://doi.org/10.3390/prosthesis2040024