Section Original Articles
Comparison of push-out bond strength of bioceramic sealer with bioceramic coated and non-bioceramic coated Guttapercha: an in vitro study
Background: The goal of the endodontic treatment is to achieve a fluid-tight impervious seal to prevent the ingress of bacteria and the occurrence of any pathology in future. The endodontic sealer plays a crucial role in obtaining the hermetic seal by filling all the spaces and by binding to the root dentin and to the core obturating material, which is usually gutta-percha.
Aim: This study aimed to compare the push-out bond strength of Endosequence BC sealer with bioceramic coated gutta-percha and non-bioceramic coated gutta-percha.
Materials and methods: A total of 36 extracted human maxillary central incisors were decoronated to standardize the root length of 15mm. Working length was determined and Biomechanical preparation for all the samples was done with a Mtwo (VDW Company) rotary file till 40/.06. Samples were randomly divided into three groups containing 12 teeth in each group based on the obturation procedure, namely Group 1: Endosequence BC sealer along with Endosequence bioceramic coated gutta-percha (n=12), Group 2: Endosequence BC sealer along with normal gutta-percha (n=12), Group 3: AH Plus sealer along with normal gutta-percha. All the samples were obturated using single cone technique. The specimens were sectioned orthogonally at middle third to obtain three sections of 1mm thick. All the samples were subjected to the push-out bond strength test with the universal testing machine. The data were subjected to one-way Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) followed by post hoc analysis.
Results: Samples obturated with Endosequence BC sealer with Endosequence bioceramic coated gutta-percha showed the maximum push-out bond strength followed by Group 3 and Group 2. One-way Anova showed significant differences (p=0.021) among the groups. In posthoc analysis, the specimens from group 1 exhibited significant differences (p=0.016) with the group 2 specimens.
Conclusion: The push-out bond strength of Endosequence Bioceramic sealer with Endosequence Bioceramic coated gutta-percha was significantly higher than that of Endosequence Bioceramic sealer with normal gutta-percha and AH Plus sealer with normal gutta-percha.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Lacey S, Pitt Ford TR, Watson TF, Sherriff M. A study of the rheological properties of endodontic sealers. Int Endod J 2005; 38:499-504. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2005.00953.x
- Tyagi S, Mishra P, Tyagi P. Evolution of root canal sealers: An insight story. Eur J Gen Dent 2013; 2:199-218. https://doi.org/10.4103/2278-9626.115976
- Kadali N, Alla RK, Vineeth G, Ramaraju AV, Suresh Sajjan MC, Raju RV. Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: An overview of composition, properties and clinical applications. Int J Dent Mater 2020;2(1): 11-18. https://doi.org/10.37983/IJDM.2020.2103
- Sagsen B, Ustu Y, Demirbuga S, Pala K. Push-out bond strength of two new calcium silicate-based endodontic sealers to root canal dentine. Int Endod J 2011; 44:1088–91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2011.01925.x
- Al-Haddad AY, Kutty MG, Che Ab Aziz ZA. Push-out bond strength of experimental apatite calcium phosphate based coated gutta-percha. International Journal of Biomaterials. 2018 Aug 1;2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1731857
- Shivanna V. The effect of different irrigating solutions on the push-out bond strength of endodontic sealer to dentin and assessing the fracture modes: An In-vitro study. J Int Clin Dent Res Organ. 2014;6(2):86. https://doi.org/10.4103/2231-0754.143483
- Hegde V, Arora S. Sealing ability of three hydrophilic single cone obturation systems: An in vitro glucose leakage study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2015;6 (Suppl 1): S86. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.152953
- Razmi H, Bolhari B, Dashti NK, Fazlyab M. The effect of canal dryness on bond strength of bioceramic and epoxy-resin sealers after irrigation with sodium hypochlorite or chlorhexidine. Iran Endod J. 2016;11(2):129.
- Sharma S. The viability of current obturating systems as Replacement Endodontic Monoblocks–A 3-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis. Endodontology. 2014 Dec;26(2).
- Sly MM, Moore BK, Platt JA, Brown CE. Push-out bond strength of a new endodontic obturation system (Resilon/Epiphany). J Endod. 2007;33(2):160-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2006.09.014
- Bayram H, Brayam E, Kanber M, Celikten B, Saklar F. Effect of different chelating solutions on the push- out bond strength of various root canal sealers. Biomed Res 2017; (Special issue): S401-6.
- Gesi A, Raffaelli O, Goracci C, Pashley DH, Tay FR, Ferrari M. Interfacial strength of Resilon and gutta-percha to intraradicular dentin. J Endod. 2005;31(11):809-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.don.0000158230.15853.b7
- Kouvas V, Liolios E, Vassiliadis I, Parissis?Messimeris S, Boutsioukis A. Influence of smear layer on depth of penetration of three endodontic sealers: an SEM study. Dent Traumatol. 1998;14(4):191-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1998.tb00836.x
- Ungor M, Onay EO, Orucoglu H. Push?out bond strengths: the Epiphany–Resilon endodontic obturation system compared with different pairings of Epiphany, Resilon, AH Plus and gutta?percha. Int Endod J. 2006;39(8):643-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2006.01132.x
- Bojar WI, Czarnecka BE, Prylinski M, Walory JA. Shear bond strength of epoxy resin-based endodontic sealers to bovine dentin after ozone application. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2009;11(3):41-5.
- Shokouhinejad N, Gorjestani H, Nasseh AA, Hoseini A, Mohammadi M, Shamshiri AR. Push?out bond strength of gutta?percha with a new bioceramic sealer Comparison of push-out bond strength of bioceramic sealer with bioceramic coated gutta-percha and non-bio ceramic coated gutta-percha in the presence or absence of smear layer. Aust Endod J. 2013; 39(3):102-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-4477.2011.00310.x
- Gade VJ, Belsare LD, Patil S, Bhede R, Gade JR. Evaluation of push-out bond strength of endosequence BC sealer with lateral condensation and thermoplasticized technique: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2015; 18:124-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.153075
- Lee KW, Williams MC, Camps JJ, Pashley DH. Adhesion of endodontic sealers to dentin and gutta-percha. Journal of endodontics. 2002;28(10):684-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004770-200210000-00002
- Nagas E, Uyanik MO, Eymirli A, Cehreli ZC, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV, Durmaz V. Dentin moisture conditions affect the adhesion of root canal sealers. Journal of endodontics. 2012;38(2):240-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2011.09.027